Dogs Best Friend
Dog Behavioural & Training Blog/Tips
- Leadership and Dominance in Dog Training
- Guy Fawkes and similar stressors for dogs
- Separation Anxiety
- 'Walking the Dog' and all associated...
- Dog 'Ownership' Helpful Tips
- Preventing 'Fixation'/'Obsession'
- With Cats...
- General Training
- 'Obedience' Type Command Instruction
- Safety Around Dogs
- A Good Dog Behavioural Consultant/Dog Behaviourist
- Entertainment for your dog
- The problem with gadgets in effective dog training
- Stress in Dogs
- Reactionary Behaviour
- Embarrassing antics our dogs get up to...
- 'Tis the Season'
- Visitors and your Dog
- Cars/Vehicles and your Dog
- Why does my dog?
- Dogs Taking/Collecting Items
How does this Dog Behavioural Consultant feed her dogs?
We split our dogs daily feed portion up and alternate between all of the below methods for feeding – variety is the spice of life. [Read More…]
Dog Training. Dog Behaviour. You and your dog in ‘Lock Down’/ Social Isolation. Mental stimulation for your dog.
Fun for the whole family, we play ‘Sit, Stay, Come’ around the house with our dogs Lily and Trev, this is essentially ‘Hide and Seek’. Make sure you double back and walk around the place to make more of a scent trail, this is really what your dog is following.
- As well, we’re wanting to exercise our dogs brains just that little bit more and continually practice their obedience (we do have Border Terriers!) so we operate under the premise, ‘No freebies’. [Read More…]
We feed with enrichment.
Splitting Lily and Trev’s daily feed portions up and alternating between all of the methods below for feeding – variety is the spice of life!
• Placing biscuits in a maze like dish to be pushed and licked out (ours is a Trixie feeder but other brands are available). [Read More…]
Have you ever really, taken thought about the walk from your dogs perspective?
The picture of smells, sounds, sights that may be of interest to them (obviously all the while, our senses for the most part being less developed than dogs).
What I’m really talking about is, I think sometimes owners forget that ‘the world’ is pretty interesting and more so, it is pretty interesting to a dog because they are likely to be confined away from this ‘world’ (backyard for example) the majority of the time. [Read More…]
Use a couple of minutes of your day for Hide and Seek/training with your dog/s (training can be built into your regular routine also).
This provides mental enrichment for your dog. It’s a fun way to work on ‘Obedience Commands’ and just great for your relationship. [Read More…]
© Dogs Best Friend Limited 2020.
dog trainer operating in the Hamilton, Waikato and Tauranga area's of New Zealand
dog behaviourist / dog behaviour specialist