Dogs Best Friend
Dog Behavioural & Training Blog/Tips
Last 5 entries
- Dog Behaviour. Dog Training. Dogs whining.
- Dog Training. Dog Behaviour. Dogs with a fixation on cats.
- Dog Training. Dog Behaviour. Your dog being friends with every dog they meet?
- Dog Behaviour. Dog Training. The safety of children around dogs.
- Dog Training. Dog Behaviour. Mouthing and Nipping in Puppies!
- Leadership and Dominance in Dog Training
- Guy Fawkes and similar stressors for dogs
- Separation Anxiety
- 'Walking the Dog' and all associated...
- Dog 'Ownership' Helpful Tips
- Preventing 'Fixation'/'Obsession'
- With Cats...
- General Training
- 'Obedience' Type Command Instruction
- Safety Around Dogs
- A Good Dog Behavioural Consultant/Dog Behaviourist
- Entertainment for your dog
- The problem with gadgets in effective dog training
- Stress in Dogs
- Reactionary Behaviour
- Embarrassing antics our dogs get up to...
- 'Tis the Season'
- Visitors and your Dog
- Cars/Vehicles and your Dog
- Why does my dog?
- Dogs Taking/Collecting Items
Dogs with a fixation on cats -
Use a deep guttural “Bah!” and clap of hands (if able) as soon as you see your dogs behaviour modify, to when their body stiffens and their pupils dilate (wide eyed). ‘Ranting/screaming’ at your dog or physically handling them when they are in this state will only heighten the excited energy present.
You may need to train your dog to be relatively calm on a lead first in front of cats. Get them distracted and build a positive association with cats by undertaking a series of obedience tasks - sit, shake hands, down etc.
Also work on your ‘Leave’ (see a previous blog on instruction for this) and ‘Stay’ commands.
Some other tips -
Ensure your dog is sufficiently exercised (also see a previous blog on exercise requirements). A possible outcome for a dog’s unreleased energy is the dog becoming fixated on or obsessed with something.
Also, dogs in the home environment should not be left to just sit and stare/glare at animals present. Being in a fixated mode is not normal for a dog and fixation is only recorded in domestic canines…
Selina McIntyre, Dog Behavioural Consultant & Dog Trainer, Dogs Best Friend.
Admin - 20:00:02 @ With Cats...
© Dogs Best Friend Limited 2020.
dog trainer operating in the Hamilton, Waikato and Tauranga area's of New Zealand
dog behaviourist / dog behaviour specialist